West Virginia University Institute of Technology
Classified Staff Council
Article I - Duties of Officers
The Classified Staff Council Chair shall preside at all meetings and enforce all regulations and policies of the
Staff Council. The Chair will vote only in the event of a tie. The Chair shall have the authority to pursue the
recommendations of the Staff Council to the highest authorities and may appoint any committees that are
deemed necessary in conjunction with such recommendations.
The Chair shall sit on the President’s Cabinet.
The Chair shall act as proxy to the State Advisory Council of Classified Employees (ACCE). The Secretary
shall preside in the absence of the Chair.
In the event of the absence of both officers, a Chair Pro-Tempor shall be elected by the Staff Council to preside
at the meeting.
The Secretary shall prepare and keep in permanent form the minutes of all meetings and all records of the Staff
Council. The Secretary shall prepare and distribute the minutes of each meeting to all classified employees
within ten (10) days of each meeting.
No agreements made by the officers of the Staff Council shall be considered to be the Staff Council’s position
on any matter until approved by the Staff Council at any regular or special meeting.
Article II - Meetings
A regular meeting of Staff Council shall be held monthly. Staff Council members are to be given release time to
attend meetings. The meetings shall be every month at a time and place determined by the Staff Council. In the
event that the scheduled date causes conflicts in member schedules due to college schedules, the Chair shall
reschedule the meeting to comply with College operating schedules.
The Chair may schedule special meetings to conduct business that is in the best interest of WVU Tech and/or
the classified staff.
A quorum at a meeting of the Staff Council shall be a simple majority of the existing voting membership of the
All meetings shall be open to all classified staff unless voted into executive sessions by the Staff Council.
Article III - Committees
The Staff Council shall have committees as it deems necessary. Unless otherwise specified, the Staff Council
Chair shall appoint all committees and designate a committee chair.
Article IV - Procedures
Any classified staff employee can submit items in writing to any member of the Staff Council. The Staff
Council will inform the Chair of the proposed agenda item prior to the next Staff Council meeting.
All approved proposals within the Staff Council’s jurisdiction shall be submitted properly and promptly to the
Office of the Campus President for consideration.
Article V - Delegates
In the event that various groups request the Staff Council to meet with them, such requests shall be presented at
the next meeting following the request. If the Staff Council agrees that the request is in the best interest of the
classified staff, the Staff Council or a representative shall meet with the requesting group.
Article VI - Fiscal Year
The fiscal year for the Staff Council shall be the same as WVU Tech.
Article VII - Parliamentary Authority
Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised, shall govern the business proceedings of the Staff Council except when
otherwise specified by the Constitution or Bylaws.
Article VIII - Election Procedures
- The first week of March, a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request form needs to be submitted to
WVU Human Resources for all WVU Tech current classified staff as of first payroll date in February.
Information requested on the FOIA form will be classified staff employee’s name, campus address and
classification group or sector. This information is requested no later than March 15th and will be also
shared with the WVU Tech Campus President office for the election of a representative to the State
Advisory Council of Classified Employees (ACCE) and WVU Tech Human Resource office.
- The last week of March, nomination forms for Classified Staff Council and Classified Staff Council
Chair will be placed in campus mail and the nominations are to be returned by April 7th.
- Each classified staff employee may nominate two (2) persons in only their own occupational category.
No write-in candidates will be accepted during the election.
- No write-in candidates will be accepted during the election.
Names of the nominees will be verified by the Classified Staff Election Committee or Classified Staff
Chair against the list of eligible employees provided from WVU Human Resources.
- Chair against the list of eligible employees provided from WVU Human Resources.
Classified Staff Election Committee or Classified Staff Chair will contact nominees to verify acceptance
- Any occupational category left open will be conveyed to the Staff Council and they are authorized to
select candidates for open categories.
- A nominee will be considered a candidate after they consent to serve, if elected and not in their
B. Election Procedures
- Ballots of nominees for Staff Council and Staff Council Chair will be prepared listing the candidates’
names in seniority order (most senior first).
- Ballots will be placed in campus mail by the Election Committee or Classified Staff Chair by April 15
and returned by April 30.
- Ballots will be counted by one member of administration, at least two members of the classified Staff
Election Committee and/or two members of the classified staff approved by Staff Council.
- Final election results will be printed in the Staff Council’s meeting minutes and reported in writing to
the Campus President of WVU Tech.
- After a recount has been completed, any election tie will be determined by the “Luck of the Draw”
method. A flip of a coin will be used when possible.
These Bylaws may be amended in the same manner as prescribed in the Constitution.